Integrate LearnDash with an Experience API (Tin Can) service. Manage your LearnDash competencies and activities, your H5P Content, uploaded and linked Articulate, Captivate, iSpring, Adapt or Lectora e-learning courses, as well as YouTube and Vimeo videos.
LearnDash xAPI is a multi-tenant enabled plugin that works in a single site, or in a multi-site environment. It can be used to direct xAPI statements to various LRS Endpoints based on the users Group.
Designed for use with any xAPI compliant remote LRS service, If that service is only able to have a single Endpoint or many. You can also send statements to multiple LRSs.
You must use a separate LRS service to use this product. The LRS service is not part of this product.
If you do not already have an xAPI compliat LRS service, you can purchase a Private LRS server here.
LearnDash xAPI highlights
- Works with the most comprehensive list of e-learning authoring tools of any xAPI plugin
- Launch your e-learning in an iFrame, lightbox, or new window
- Connect to many LRSs based on the group a user is in
- One license is used for unlimited sites in a multi-site installation
- Supports separate administration and content developer pages
- Granular controls over what xAPI data to send, from where (post), from what(e-learning, video, H5P), and to where (write group based records to different LRSs).
- cmi5 compliant (some features still being built)
- Adds Competency Management (create competencies and assign them to post or other objects) to LearnDash
What is an xAPI remote service?
An xAPI remote service is a separate server – you must subscribe to that other vendors service separately or you can install your own LRS and use LearnDash xAPI with it.
The advantage of using an external LRS service is that your uploaded e-learning can be viewed offline and can synchronize again with the LRS without the user being logged into your WordPress site if that e-learning product supports offline tracking.
An LRS can be used to integrate all your data services using a common data exchange format
|LearnDash xAPI sends your training records to your LRS Endpoint and adds Competencies to your training records|
Why use an external xAPI LRS service rather than a service built into LearnDash xAPI?
An LRS is your gateway to a whole Learning Eco-system.
Learning doesn’t just happen in your LMS, it occurs everywhere!
An external LRS also opens the door for your LMS to interact with IoT devices (see my IoT Projects page to see just a few open source projects example I’m working on).
xAPI opens the doors to your students learning anywhere and everywhere and your LRS is where all the learning information gets stored without having your students log into your LearnDash platform.
Imagine creating an email based course where your students receive a LearnDash notification when a course opens up. The notification has a link in it having them download a mobile app. That mobile app installs and opens for the student to follow some direction and interact with the mobile app.
That mobile app can be a game, a location based app, or even a simple button they push.
The data collected from that app can be a in-depth (i.e. Dennis Hall pushed the button at this location), or a simple as you want (i.e. Dennis Hall pushed the button).
Take that simple app and apply it to a classroom scenario outside the LMS (i.e. Dennis Hall entered Classroom 1).
With LearnDash xAPI, you can now think outside the box and create greater experiences for your students.
What is the difference between SCORM and xAPI?
SCORM was a standard that required that your student only learn within your LMS. If the student was not logged into the LMS, they could not use SCORM content (with the exception of a few custom SCORM course players built for specific LMS systems).
SCORM would not allow your student to learn offline or record they found an answer on a website and record the URL and date/time they found the answer.
SCORM would not let your user start a course in your LMS, take the course offline, then return to your LMS later to see their online/offline results.
SCORM required you store learning records in your local LMS database (except for some custom LMS systems) and then only allowed you to report on a part of that data, not all of it. Reporting was the main challenge in SCORM and the primary reason xAPI was developed – to escape the LMS and increase access to reporting data.
Where SCORM was considered the lowest common denominator for collecting a reporting data, xAPI is the exact opposite.
LearnDash xAPI can allow you to send as little or a much reporting data to an LRS as you wish. If that data were to reside in your local WordPress database; and you have chosen to collect large quantities of data, it could potentially bring your server to its knees.
LearnDash xAPI ensures your website remains light and fast by not bogging down your LearnDash database with xAPI learning records stored and reported locally.
By using an external LRS database and reporting service, we’ve removed any custom hosting requirements so you can continue hosting LearnDash in a standard hosting account.
Please refer to LearnDash xAPI works with… below to see the LRS services LearnDash has been tested with.
The ability to report to any LRS through xAPI (TinCan) from any of the following content types:
- LearnDash courses, lessons, quizes and quiz questions
- Uploaded elearning courses built with authoring tools such as, but not limited to:
- Articulate Storyline 360
- Articulate Studio 360
- Articulate Rise
- Articulate Storyline 2
- Articulate Studio 2
- Adobe Captivate 9
- Lectora Inspire
- Lectora Publisher
- Lectora Online
- iSpring Suite 8
- Adapt Authoring Tool
- and any other product that produces an xAPI 1.0 or above ZIP file as an output.
- Linked web pages, content or courses that reside anywhere online and allow you to use or resell them
- H5P content (rich interactive content) for tracking videos, video interactions, and any H5P content that send a completion status
- LearnDash YouTube and Vimeo embedded Video URLs (embedded in Lessons) as well as YouTube and Vimeo URLs added into the post content (via embedding the video).
- Connect LearnDash with the Zappier Services through your LRS service (Integration is performed in the LRS, not LearnDash or LearnDash xAPI).
Control your LearnDash lesson and Topic progression from your uploaded or linked e-learning, your LearnDash embedded Vimeo videos, YouTube videos, your embedded H5P interactions, or any combination of these in the same lesson.
LearnDash xAPI removes the Mark Complete button until the xAPI content, H5P content, or videos send a completed status. You control this feature from any single xAPI content item you choose, or control it at the lesson level.
You can also have no MarkComplete button when using uploaded e-learning courses in a lightbox or iFrame. You can have the lessons “AutoComplete” and advance to the next lesson on their own when the e-learning sends the LRS a “Completed” or “passed” statement.
- Create your own custom competencies and assign them to any course, lesson, quiz or question
- Assign your competencies to any xAPI content (including uploaded or linked content)
- Assign your competencies to ADL activity ID’s for each content type listed above
- Create your own reports in your LRS
- Make your LRS Reporting data more human readable
- Visualize your reporting data in your LRS
- Export your reports from your LRS (depends on your LRS having this ability)
- Forward specific statements to other reporting systems (depends on your LRS having this ability)
- Turn on or off reporting for each LearnDash course, lesson, topic, quiz or uploaded or linked e-learning course in LearnDash.
Video Tour (note: although these videos are representative of LearnDash xAPI, the final videos are still in production. These videos do not yet cover the advanced features of LearnDash xAPI.
LearnDash xAPI works with…
LearnDash xAPI has been tested with LearningLocker versions 1 and 2 (open-source and SaaS versions), GrassBlade (locally and remotely installed and SaaS versions), WaterShed (Premium and Essentials versions), and WaxLRS (Premium and Explore versions) – Note: At this time, the WaxLRS dashboard cannot be viewed inside the LearnDash xAPI dashboard widget.
|Learning Locker Verison 1.0.7+ LRS||
Watershed LRS (*)
Your own Learning Templates LRS Server
There may be other LRS systems that LearnDash xAPI works with. As we test LearnDash xAPI with other LRS systems, they will be posted here and the integration details will be posted in the LearnDash xAPI docs.
(*) Watershed no longer supports their LRS to be hosted in an iFrame. This means that the Watershed LRS dashboard will not display in your WordPress dashboard. You will still be able to send statements to the Watershed LRS, bu twill need to use their dashboard in its own window.
NOTE: LifterLMS xAPI also works with the free “wp-xapi-lrs” (last tested by me in WP 5.2) plugin found in your Dashboard > Plugins > Add New page, however, this plugin does not come with LRS reporting so you can turn off your WordPress Dashboard xAPI reporting widget. This LRS is not a standards compliant LRS and is known as a “fake LRS”.
You can use this plugin if:
- You do not care about xAPI reporting,
- If you do not expect 10’s of thousands of xAPI statements to be generated per year.